Friday, August 23, 2013

Teaser | Sliding Beneath the Surface by Doug Dillon

Title: Sliding Beneath the Surface
The St. Augustine Trilogy Book 1
Author: Doug Dillon
Genre: Young Adult

Teaser

“So tell me about this dream,“ Lobo said to me in his rumbling voice as he sat back down in his chair.

“Dream?“ Neither Carla nor I had mentioned my dream yet. If anybody else had brought me there besides Carla, I would have sworn that person had already talked to Lobo about my problem.

“Am I not speaking clearly enough for you?“ The man replied with this sour look on his face.

“Yes, your dream.“

“Uh … OK. My dream. Well, for the past three nights I‘ve been waking up with a horrible pain in my chest like something has stuck me hard while I‘m sleeping. When I sit up and look down, my bed is glowing and there‘s something long and pointy coming up out of the mattress trying to get me. Blood is everywhere, all over my chest, my stomach, my sheets and on the pointy thing. It's all so real, like it‘s actually happening. Then when I jump out of bed and turn the ceiling light on, it all goes away, but my chest still hurts. I still feel like I‘ve just been stabbed. I‘m telling you, it scares the crap out of me.“ I hadn‘t planned on saying that last part. It just popped out.

Lobo grunted and looked all around me in his weird way, his unblinking gaze all fiery.

Everybody blinks, right? Not him. I‘m telling you, it felt really odd to be talking to somebody who keeps his eyes constantly open. Shifting his attention away from me, he put his water bottle down on the coffee table, got up and went to the display case I had touched earlier, the one with all the weapons. As I watched him, for the first time I noticed the circular display case over the fireplace held a huge collection of arrowheads, spearheads and stone knives. I wondered if they were Seminole. “Come over here,“ he said, his words a rumbling command. I could feel my stomach twist the way it does when adults try to boss me around, but I resisted the temptation to say something back.

When I got to the case, he asked, “That something sharp coming out of your mattress look like any of the objects in here?“ He squinted as if he somehow wanted to see the answer within me as much as hear it. I guess by then I was a little paranoid about the possibility of him being able to get inside my head. After what I had experienced while standing there before, I wasn‘t sure I wanted to look, but I did. As I searched, my headache intensified, making me wince, but even so, my eyes stayed glued to this one item.


Author Bio
Doug Dillon has been writing for adults and young people since 1984, especially in the paranormal realm. An award winning educator, he spent many years as a classroom teacher, school administrator, and coordinator of programs for high-risk students. Prentice Hall, Harcourt, Mitchell Lane Publishers, Boys' Life magazine, Learning Magazine and The Orlando Sentinel have all published his work.





Author Links:

Buy Links:
Click to Buy eBook:

Click to Buy Print Book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Giveaways

ShareThis