Friday, July 26, 2013

Teaser | Sliding Beneath the Surface by Doug Dillon

Title: Sliding Beneath the Surface
The St. Augustine Trilogy Book 1
Author: Doug Dillon
Genre: Young Adult

Teaser

"Lobo,” Carla said before the man could turn around, ”this is my friend Jeff Golden and he—”

”You know better than that!” The man scolded. What a voice. A deep one, like a big old Harley cranking up. While using the rag to wipe sawdust off his hands and arms, he turned around and faced us. “Nobody comes here unless they‘re invited by me personally, especially this boy who has problems buzzing around him like angry yellow jackets.”

Angry yellow jackets? The guy‘s attitude reminded me of a crappy teacher I had last year. Hated the man. Not a good beginning.

Lobo didn‘t have a big belly like a lot of older guys. A broad chest matched his big shoulders, but the man‘s face is what really made me stare. It looked like the front of a ship, as if it could cut through water. A large thin nose stuck out above a small mouth with full lips that puckered just a little. From those lips on each side, a permanent frown sliced down to a sharp chin. Other deep lines across the rest of his face and neck showed the man did have some age on him, like Carla said.

His eyes though, are what really caught my attention. Deep set under thick, bushy brows the color of his hair, the pupils looked completely black. Even so, they glittered as if a tiny powerful light inside each one kept trying to get out. I swear, when he looked at me, I thought for a second I was seeing twin lasers rapidly firing in my direction. Talk about weird.

Carla walked over to him, placed her hands on her hips and slowly raised her head so that Mr. Lobo couldn‘t help but look at her. I tell you what, all five foot four inches of Miss Carla Rodriguez was poised like a little snake ready to strike. I wanted to smile, knowing Lobo was in for it, but I didn‘t. The guy deserved it.


Author Bio
Doug Dillon has been writing for adults and young people since 1984, especially in the paranormal realm. An award winning educator, he spent many years as a classroom teacher, school administrator, and coordinator of programs for high-risk students. Prentice Hall, Harcourt, Mitchell Lane Publishers, Boys' Life magazine, Learning Magazine and The Orlando Sentinel have all published his work.





Author Links:

Buy Links:
Click to Buy eBook:

Click to Buy Print Book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Giveaways

ShareThis