Title- Why My Love Life Sucks
Series- The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer Book # 1
By- Shevi Arnold
Published- March 23, 2010
By- Shevi Arnold
Published- March 23, 2010
Why My Love Life Sucks (The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer, book one) slowly reveals the answer to that question, so if you’d rather not read any spoilers before reading the book, stop here. Otherwise...
1. The beautiful, mysterious, and seemingly sweet Amber is the first girl he’s ever kissed. She’s also a vampire who bites him, sucks his blood, leaves him paralyzed and in pain, and later tells him she did it because she wants him to be her platonic BFF--literally forever. She likes him a lot, just not “that way.” Isn’t that reason enough?
2. He’s had a crush on the absolutely amazing Jenny Chen since the day she let him fix her camera when they were both six, but he’s too afraid to tell her. What if it ruins their friendship, and she never wants to see him again? It would be a pain worse than death.
3. His mother constantly reminds him that the only reason a pretty girl would want to be with someone like him is for money. That’s the only reason why she married his brilliant father, and although Gilbert badly wants to be like his father, he’s also afraid of falling into a golddigger’s trap.
4. His mother is beautiful, and she loathes him. That makes beautiful girls in general terrifying.
5. Gilbert needs everything to make sense. Love. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.
6. Delilah Jones, the former school bully turned domineering school queen bee, insists he take her out in an expensive car to an expensive restaurant. Considering she only dates guys who can help her move up the social ladder at school and geeks like him are at the bottom of that social ladder, that doesn’t make sense.
7. Gilbert has a compulsive need to take apart, figure out, and fix things. He can’t do that with a girl. Case in point: Amber. If she’s not at all attracted to him like she says, why does she want to spend eternity with him and not her boyfriend?
8. When he’s in the presence of a girl he’s attracted to, he doesn’t think. That’s never a good idea.
9. After Amber bites Gilbert, girls are suddenly attracted to his vampire charm. That terrifies him, which brings out a “bite or flight” response--and he doesn’t want to bite anyone. Ever.
10. He was starting to fall for Amber before she bit him, and his eidetic memory means he’ll never forget the pain and terror he felt when she did. How will he ever get past this connection his brain has made between opening his heart and the greatest pain he’s ever known?
Also, it’s love. It sucks. The trick is to forget that and fall in love anyway. And maybe, if you’re lucky, for at least a few glimmering moments, life in general won’t suck so much.
Seventeen-year-old Gilbert Garfinkle is the ultimate tech geek. He likes to take apart, figure out, and fix things, and he dreams of someday fixing the world. But now his own life has been taken apart by the one thing he'll never be able to figure out. Her name is Amber, and she's a gorgeous girl with a killer smile who wants to turn him into her platonic BFF--literally forever! It's the ultimate geek's ultimate nightmare, and it leaves Gilbert asking life's ultimate question: "Why me?"
Why My Love Life Sucks is a funny novel about geeks, girls, gadgets, vampires, and the start of a most unlikely friendship. It's the first book in The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer, the series that proves it takes the ultimate geek to be the ultimate hero.
About the Author
I've always been super geeky about comedy, fantasy and science fiction.
When I was little, I'd take them apart and analyze them, kind of like what Gilbert Garfinkle--the hero of Why My Love Life Sucks--does with electronics. This continued into my college years, when I majored in English Literature and Theater Studies.
For twelve years I worked in magazines and newspapers as an editorial cartoonist, illustrator, editor, arts-and-entertainment writer (specializing in children's entertainment and, of course, comedy), and a consumer columnist.
My last job was at the Jerusalem Post, but I had to quit when my family decided to move to New Jersey to pursue better education options for my autistic son.
This was in February 2001. Since then I've written 40 picture books and seven novels for kids and teens, four of which I've indie published. I was an ABNA quarterfinalist with Why My Love Life Sucks, and I won third place in SmartWriter's Write It Now contest in the the YA category (which was judged by Alex Flinn, the author of Beastly) for my romantic, YA ghost story, Ride of Your Life.
3 ebook copies of Why My Love Life Sucks by Shevi Arnold -open internationally
1 paperback copy of Why My Love Life Sucks by Shevi Arnold- US only
5 signed bookmarks-US ONLY
a Rafflecopter giveaway